Sunday, June 16, 2013

PSALM 12 - God - Our Protector

INTRODUCTION

Read Psalm 12

Yesterday when I woke up I looked out at the sun over the mountains. As it was still shining today, we decided to take a drive up to those mountains - Mt Tambourine - overlooking the Gold Coast. (Sth Queensland, Australia).                                                            
Curtis Falls
From Mt Tambourine - Overlooking the
Gold Coast
We took a beautiful walk down a track to the Curtis   Falls. But of course, then we had to walk back up the mountain, and for an oldie like me that was a little harder. 

By the time I was in the car on my way home, I was nearly back in David's `moaning mode' again. It had been a wonderful day in the mountains, but I knew I had to come back down to the valley - back to the oppression, the evil, `the bragging tongues', and the `flattering lips'. Back to where the `wicked people were parading around'.

Still, I also knew, as I reminded the children in `Sunday School' this morning, `GOD ALWAYS KEEPS HIS PROMISES'. Just like it was in David's time, these promises in Psalm 12, are just as relevant for us today: 

"I will now arise," says the Lord, "I will provide SAFETY for those who long for it." V5b (GWT)

"The promises of the Lord are pure...... O Lord, you WILL PROTECT them."  V6&7 (GWT).

What gives us the greatest strength to face a new week - the devils wimps or the Lord's promises. I would think the latter. I attend to start this week with the Lord, and if I stumble, I have another promise:

"The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalm 37:23&24 (NLT)

1.  Do you have some promises in the Word that keep you strong?

A PRAYER AGAINST LIARS -  A PROMISE FOR THE FAITHFUL.

Read Psalm 12:1-5; Genesis 6:6-22;  Proverbs 6:16-19; 12:22; Ephesians 4:24&25 

David begins this psalm, as he does in others with a prayer against the wicked - in this case it is the liars.  If we read these other passages throughout the Bible we can see that God does have a distaste for liars or as it was in Noah's day people's whose thoughts were `consistently and totally evil'.

Yet each of these passages finished with a special promise:

*  In the story of Noah we see how because of his righteousness and obediance, he found favour with God, and the lives of he and his family were saved.

* We read in Proverbs that God `delights' in those who tell the truth.

* Paul reminds us over and over in each of his letters that when we are accepted by God as His `children of light' we will live `righteous and holy' lives.

So it isn't surprising to hear from David, that God `will rise up and rescue' the faithful as `they have longed for Him to do.'

I don't know about you, but I think I know what life I would be trying to live, don't you?

2.a)  Would you rather be a living `lier' - cut off from the Lord; or a child of the light? 

b) Is there something you need to do to bring yourself back if you have wandered out of the light? 


GOD ALWAYS KEEPS HIS PROMISES

Read Psalm 6-8, Read Genesis 9:1-17

"The Lord's promises are pure, like silver refined in a furnace, purified seven times over." 
Psalm 12:6

This is one thing I am certain about.  When I tell the children in Sunday School that GOD ALWAYS KEEPS HIS PROMISES I tell them because I know it's true, not just it what the storybook says. When I look outside, after the rain and see a rainbow, I don't just think about the story of Noah, and the promises God made to him; but I know that those promises were made to us too.

You see that RAINBOW is a visual reminder to us that GOD ALWAYS KEEPS HIS PROMISES to us - to David in his day, to Paul in his day, and to us today; that even though `the wicked still strut around and evil   is around the land', the Lord will protect those who trust in Him.

3.a) What are some promises in your life that God has kept? 

b) What is the most important promise you look forward to him keeping?

CONCLUSION

Look outside.  Is it raining?  Is their a storm?  Is it sunny? Is their a rainbow?  Whatever the weather outside or in your soul, remember the Lord is on your side, and wants you to know that you can depend on Him each day. Remember, GOD ALWAYS KEEPS HIS PROMISES!! And the most important promise He will keep is the day when He will return, and take you to live with Him.  Are you ready to go?








No comments:

Post a Comment