Sunday, September 8, 2013

PSALM 17 - CONFIDENCE & STRENGTH IN GOD'S PRESENCE

INTRODUCTION

Read Psalm 17

In Psalm 16 David revealed the need for seeking God's presence and praying in all circumstances of his life - at home, in the midst of battles, in worship, in fellowship with godly people and in quiet meditation. They were a top priority in David's life, as they should be in our lives. Here, in Psalm 17, we find him again `on his knees'.

David is surrounded by his enemies - Saul and his army are seeking to kill him. David has to run and hide. He is not fighting, he is not planning his revenge. At this stage, he is waiting in the Lord's presence, praying in faith and seeking refuge in the `shadow' of his Father's `wings'. 

1a) When faced with a difficult situation what are the first things you think of doing?
b) How do you think you might feel, if like David, you sought the Lord's presence and got `down on your knees'?

DAVID'S STORY

Read Psalm 17:1-5; 1 Samuel 24:1-4; 1 Samuel 26:3-11.

We know from David's earlier story that he had every reason to despise Saul. David had done nothing but fight for Saul against his enemies and to serve him, but now because of his jealous spirit, Saul was now out to kill him.  David might have every right to feel bitter and angry, and no one would feel it was wrong of him if he killed Saul - except David and God.

David knew that committing this evil could stand in His way of having a close relationship with the Lord - it could hinder His prayers. Could this have been the thought that pricked his conscience and `began bothering him'. 

"No, David said, who can stay innocent after attacking the Lord's annointed one."
 1 Samuel 26:9a (NLT)

Yes, he could have become just like the `cruel and evil' people who were chasing him, but David chose to stay on God's path so that he could continue to live in his presence. 

"I have avoided cruelty because of your word. In spite of what others have done, my steps have remained firmly in your paths. My feet have not slipped."  Psalm 17:4 (GWT)

This doesn't mean we allow our enemies to walk all over us.  There are times, we need to stand up for our rights; but at first, we need to make sure we have the Lord on our side. 

2. Is there anything in your life that could be hindering your prayers and your relationship with God?

DAVID'S CONFIDENCE IN PRAYER 

Read Psalm 17:6-12

3. What are some of the verbs used in this psalm that show David's confidence and faith as he prays?

As I read David's psalms I am continually struck by his confidence. Surrounded by Saul and his army, `like hungry lions eager to tear me apart', David KNOWS God is with Him, He KNOWS God will listen to his prayers and he KNOWS God will answer him.

I am sure he was afraid. These were `murderous enemies' surrounding him, and I am sure he was weary. He had been running and hiding, running and hiding, running and hiding - with no end in sight. But like the prophet Isaiah, David knew that the Lord was the sustainer of the weary, the One who gives courage and strength to the fearful and weary.

"But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will sour high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint."  Isaiah 40:31

"Don't be afraid for I am with you. Don't be afraid for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand."  Isaiah 41:10

I have told the story before about my termination from Education Queensland before, so I won't dwell on it again. What I haven't told many people is the real reason for my bitterness and anger, and ultimate weariness. As a teacher I not only loved `my children' but I had a reputation for relating well with my parents. So it was a shock to discover, when I started teaching on the Gold Coast, that parents had started putting complaints about me into my principal. My `enemies' were beginning to surround me!!

I had to accept to accept that I was not at my best. Having recently lost my second sister to cancer, I had been suffering from depression long before I moved to my new school. I had been running and hiding, running and hiding, for many years; but fear, guilt and weariness had led me to a place where I could no longer `fight'. 

Those `enemies' have still surrounded me.  I have had to face the consequences of my mistakes and the decline of my health.  This week I took my first step inside a Public School in nearly 4 years, without leaving an emotional wreck. I have been unable to find other work and although `professionals' tell me I will never teach again, and they are probably right, I still think each day about the lives of the children and parents whose lives I may have touched.   

Like David, in his place of fear and weariness, I seek the Lord's presence each day. I KNOW He is with me. I KNOW He listens to my prayers and I KNOW He answers them. I am safe in the `hiding place of His presence'.  

"THE LORD DOESN'T PROMISE TO GIVE US SOMETHING TO TAKE SO WE CAN HANDLE OUR WEARY MOMENTS=,  HE PROMISES US HIMSELF."   Chuck Swindoll. 1


"Come to me all who are weary and carry heavy burdens and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am gentle and humble at heart  and you will find rest for your souls."  Matthew 11:28-3

4. Are you feeling weary? What does it mean to you knowing that God is waiting for you to come to him so he can listen and answer your prayers.?

STRENGTHENED BY PRAYER

Read Psalm 17:13-15

David had given all his fears and weariness to the Lord. Now with God's power available to Him, David now prayed that God would stand with Him against His enemies.

We know that David's strength and confidence came from fully trusting in the Lord. His circumstances did not change dramatically, but he was now ready to face them head on. David was also renewed in his righteousness - reminded that by following God's will and His commands, He would one day see the Lord face to face.  

5.  Is there anything in your life you need to bring to the Lord, so that you can be renewed in faith, strength and righteousness?

CONCLUSION

We too can claim these promises from God that David has in Psalm 17:

1. OUR PROMISES FOR TODAY:

* God is WITH US always.
* God will LISTEN and ANSWER our prayers, whenever and wherever we call on Him.
* God has an UNFAILING LOVE for us.
* We can be encouraged and strengthened in our times of fear and weariness, for He is FAITHFUL and will PROTECT US.
* We are SAFE in the `shadow on His wings'.

"I am praying to you because I know you will answer, O God. Bend down and listen as I pray. Show me your unfailing love in wonderful ways. By your mighty power you rescue those who seek refuge from their enemies. Guard me as you would guard your own eyes, hide me in the shadow of your wings."  Psalm 17:6-8 (NLT)

2. OUR PROMISE FOR THE FUTURE:

*God has a place prepared for us in Heaven.
*One day we will see our Saviour face to face.
* We will spend eternal life with Him. 

"Because I am righteous, I will see you. When I awake, I will see you face to face and be satisfied." Psalm 17:15 (NLT)

This is the CONFIDENCE AND STRENGTH we can have in GOD'S PRESENCE!

The Bible, New Living Translation (NLT), 1996, Tyndale Publishers.
God's Word Translation (GWT), 2003, Green Key Books

New Matthew Henry Commentary, Edited by Matthew H Manser
`Facing Your Giants', 2006, Max Lucado, Thomas Nelson Publishers
`Encourage Me' , 1982, Charles R Swindoll, Zondervan Publishing









No comments:

Post a Comment