Friday, December 27, 2013

PSALM 24 - DAVID'S PSALM OF ASSURANCE

INTRODUCTION -   Read Psalm 24

Many biblical scholars agree that David wrote this Psalm after he brought the Ark of the Covenant into the city of Jerusalem. This could be true - we don't really know; but I do believe that David wrote these words to be of great encouragement and assurance to his people.  I know they have been to me and I hope they are to you too.

David started with a reminder - an exultation of God as the GREAT CREATOR, and his greatest creations - the earth and His people He loved.

God created His people for a special purpose - to have a relationship with Him, their SAVIOUR, and to do this they needed to live a life of purity, worship and honesty, seeking God's will not their own, in every area of their lives.

Finally, we are to meet with the KING OF GLORY - our Lord Jesus Christ. Just as David was at the gate of Jerusalem waiting for His people to open it so he could bring the Ark of the Covenant through, Jesus waits at the door of our hearts, waiting for us to open it and let Him in.

1. I had highlighted 2 verses in my Bible that had always been special to me:  about being God's creation and being able to have a relationship with Him.  I had never thought much about the King of Glory?  Now I have even more to ponder on.  What to do feel when you think about God as your Great Creator, Saviour and King of Glory?

GOD -OUR CREATOR  -   Read Psalm 24:1&2

David knew His God, His Creator, personally. I can imagine David as a shepherd or soldier standing on the mountain, or as a king at the window of his palace, looking over God's amazing creation - His earth, and just singing songs of adoration and worship.

I think it would have given him great strength and comfort knowing that God made him. He belonged to this LOVING, CARING, OMNISCIENT God, who knew all about his present and his future life. He didn't have to handle anything alone - all He needed to do was trust in His GREAT CREATOR.

                                           "The earth belongs to the Lord and everything in it - 
                                                             the world and all it's people."
                                                                  Psalm 24:1

2. Is there something today you really need to seek God's comfort and strength in? Remember you don't have to handle it alone. 

WE HIS CREATION  -  Read Psalm 24:3-6

                                         "Who may climb the mountain of the Lord? 
                                                     Who may stand in His holy place?
                                                    Only those whose hands are pure, 
                                             who do not worship idols,  and never tell lies."
                                                                            Psalm 24:3&4

David wasn't perfect but He knew God had created His people for a purpose and that purpose included:

* WORSHIPING GOD
* SPENDING TIME IN HIS PRESENCE.
* RECEIVING HIS BLESSINGS
* FOLLOWING HIS WILL & LIVING A RIGHTEOUS LIFE.
* ACCEPTING HIS GIFT OF SALVATION.

To be able to do these things we need to have pure hearts, to be committed to following and serving only God and to living lives of  honesty and integrity.  David knew this wouldn't be easy which is why he added Verse 6.
                                                  "Try to follow God and look to the God 
                                                        of Jacob for help."  Psalm 24:6

Throughout the Old Testament you will find that the Israelites always knew that they could call on God for help. They sometimes turned away or tried to handle things on their own, but our omnipresent God never turned away from them, and He will never turn away from us, for we always have the promised Holy Spirit.

                               "But the Helper will teach you everything 
                            and will cause you to remember all that  I have told you. 
                        This Helper is the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send in My name.
                       I leave you my peace; my peace I give to you. I do not give it to you as 
                      the world does  So do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid."  
                                                                                           John 14:26&27.

3. Are there any of these things you need to ask the Holy Spirit for help with? 

THE KING OF GLORY -  Psalm 24:7-10

                           "Who is the King of Glory? The Lord, strong and mighty.
                           The Lord, invincible in battle. Gates open wide, aged doors, 
                          so the glorious King will come in. Who is the glorious King? 
                         The Lord all powerful - He is the glorious King."  Psalm 24:7-8

David was not talking about himself when he was talking about this King of Glory.  He was a king yes, and he may have been waiting at the gate of Jerusalem with the Ark of God's Covenant, but I believe he was speaking more prophetically about the King of Kings -Jesus Christ.

He repeats this passage twice, so how important this must have been in God's ultimate plan of creation. Jesus Christ,our strong and mighty, all powerful King is standing at the door of our hearts and He wants us to open it.
                                         "Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. 
                                               If you hear my voice and open the door,
                                      I will come in and eat with you and you with me."  
                                                                           Revelation 3:20

No one can open that door for you. It is your decision.  I opened the door a long time ago, and I let Jesus into my heart, and the exciting thing is that He has never left me. There are many times I have needed that all powerful, glorious, invincible King to help me through some real battles.  He's never let me down.  Things haven't always turned out the way I wanted, but I know I have never been alone. But you see, that's the way OUR GOD - THE GREAT CREATOR, OUR SAVIOUR, OUR KING OF GLORY PLANNED IT!!



New Living Translation, 1996, Tyndale Publishers

"That's The Way God Planned It" - 









             

No comments:

Post a Comment