Sunday, April 27, 2014

PSALM 31 - REFUGE IN GOD'S RIGHTEOUSNESS & MERCY

INTRODUCTION - Read Psalm 31

When you make a commitment to serve God in `ministry' the devil is normally not happy about it. I have found that this has often be true in my life. 

Last month I spent three wonderful encouraging days of worship and teaching at Hillsong Woman's Colour Conference. I was all ready to return to my `ministry' at the circus, teaching `my girls' - when I suddenly found myself in the depths of depression. It was the first time since I'd been on the road and it hit me hard. All I can say at the moment, is thank goodness for Psalm 31.

DAVID'S STORY -  Read 1 Samuel 23

Psalm 31 is another psalm that is believed to have been written when David was under persecution by Saul. 

"So David and his men - about 600 of them now - left Keilah and began roaming the countryside. Word soon reached Saul that David had escaped so he didn't go to Keilah after all. David now stayed in the strongholds of the wilderness and in the hill country of Ziph. Saul hunted him day after day but God didn't let Saul find"..... "Jonathon went to find David and encouraged him to stay strong in the Lord."  1 Samuel 23:13,14 , 16. 

David always had confidence in God. He had not lost his faith, just his strength. God knew what he needed, so he sent his best friend Jonathon to encourage him. He was reminded that his strength would come in his righteous and merciful God.

1. Do you have a special friend you can call on to give you encouragement when you need some extra strength and confidence?

TRUSTING IN A RIGHTEOUS GOD
Read Psalm 31:1-8

David had faith in a righteous, faithful God who he knew would never let him down. How did he know this?

1. He continually PRAYED FERVENTLY for God to help Him.

"Turn your ear to listen to me; rescue me quickly. Be my rock, my protection, a fortress where I will be safe."  PSALM 31:2

2. He gave glory to God by continually keeping his CONFIDENCE and DEPENDENCE on Him..

"I entrust my spirit into Your hand. Rescue me Lord, You are a faithful God....... I trust in the Lord, I will be glad and rejoice in your unfailing love." Psalm 31:5,6b,7a.

3. He kept an ALLIANCE with His TRUE GOD and would not allow himself to be led astray by worthless idols.

"I hate those who worship idols, I trust in the Lord." Psalm 31:6

4. He encouraged himself in the hope of God's previous goodness and righteousness.

"I will be glad and rejoice in your unfailing love, for you saw my affliction and knew the anguish of my soul. You have not given me into the hands of my enemy. You have set my feet on a spacious place."  Psalm 31:7&8

When we choose God as our righteous protector we can be certain, like David was, that He undertakes to be so.  We can be sure He will put His strength IN US and wil declare His strength FOR US.

2. How can we trust in our righteous God?



TRUSTING IN GOD'S MERCY
Read Psalm 31:9-18

In the next 10 verses we see how David, a ruddy, usually cheerful man who had fallen low, now appeals to God's mercy. He could weep no more tears. His physical and emotional strength was failing. Some of his friends had been unkind, looking on him with suspicion and contempt. The only thing keeping him  from  falling any further was his faith in God.

"His  friends  had robbed him  from his good reputation but they couldn't take from him his confidence in God." Matthew Henry.

"But I am trusting in You, O Lord, saying, `You are my God'." Psalm 31:14

If we have this same faith and confidence in our merciful God, we can be sure, as David was, that God will answer our prayers, and our strength will be renewed.

3. How can we trust in our merciful God?

CONCLUSION -  Read Psalm 31:19-24

In these last verses David acknowledges some of God's great promises, which we too can acknowledge as our own.

* God RIGHTEOUSNESS AND MERCY are available to EVERYONE. who call on His name. 

 * We need NEVER GIVE UP.  Whatever difficulties we may face God's faithfulness, love, RIGHTEOUSNESS AND MERCY are more wonderful and He will continue to STRENGTHEN US as we trust in Him.


"Living the Psalms" (2012) Charles R Swindoll, Worthy Publishing


The New Matthew Henry Commentary, Martin H Manser, Zondervan

The Bible, New Living Translation, 1996, Tyndale Publishers









No comments:

Post a Comment