Sunday, March 27, 2016

PSALM 46 - REST IN HIS REFUGE

INTRODUCTION - Read Psalm 46

We do not know who wrote this Psalm, but we do have some idea when it was written. Sennacherib, the King of Assyria was about to attack Jerusalem in 701BC. He was resting with his soldiers outside the walls of Jerusalem. We read about this in 2 Kings 19:34-36.

Speaking about Jerusalem, God said:

"I will protect and save it for myself and my servant David." 1 Kings 19:34

The next morning when the Jews went out to fight the Assyrians they found 185,000 of their soldiers dead from a mysterious illness. Sennaacherib returned to Ninevah and David's city, Jerusalem, was saved.

It is believed this Psalm was written during this time to remind the Jews how much of a protector their God was. It is also a reminder for us today; for God continues to be our `refuge and strength'; an 'EVER PRESENT help in trouble'.

It is these words `EVER PRESENT' that really stand out for me - the idea that God is ALWAYS THERE, and ALWAYS READY when I need Him. I have a lot of family and friends who I know are my refuge and strength, who I can call on in times of trouble; but they are so far away in distance. But I know I have an OMNIPRESENT GOD, that I can truly trust in.

As Martin Luther once wrote (translated by Thomas Carlyle):

"A sure stronghold our God can be
A timely shield and weapon.
Our help He'll be. He'll set us free,
From every trial that happens.

And were the world with devils filled
All eager to devour us.
Our souls to fear shall little yield
They cannot overpower us."


GOD IS WITH US - Read Verses 1-7

Whatever happens - earthquakes, tsunamis - whatever trials we face: GOD IS WITH US! The river is a metaphor for the gracious presence and blessings of the Lord. They are always flowing! God promised to be His protection for His city and His tabernacle, and He promises the same protection to His people and His Church today.

In the last few months I have had the pleasure of visiting a number of churches in Western Australia - some small, some a little bigger. They all had one thing in common - their desire for GROWTH!

1. GROWTH in their personal relationships with the Lord as they fed on the Word of God

2. GROWTH as they reached out in their care ministries to their towns and cities with the message of Christ's love and salvation, bringing others into their Church families.

A few weeks ago as I walked into one of these churches I was prompted by the Holy Spirit to pray for these Churches and their leaders - for their visions and for GOD'S PROTECTION.

This Psalm gives me hope, knowing GOD WILL ANSWER MY PRAYER!

REST AND EXALT THE LORD - Read Verses 8-11

I have read these verses many times before, always stopping at Verse 10: "Be still and know that I am God"; encouraged to STOP! REST! and RELAX!, as I make time for the Lord. I have discovered over the years, there is no way I can develop an intimate relationship with my Lord, without taking time quiet time out to listen and wait on Him.

But there is actually so much more to this passage that I have missed. Verses 8&9 remind us all of what the Lord has done and will continue to do, until He comes again.

 Recently I went to see the move `The Risen' - and actually I think it is actually the best story about the resurrection that I have ever seen; even though they say it was written by an atheist. It tells the story of the Soldier at the Cross who was given the job by Pilate of proving that the disciples had stolen the body, and the resurrection was a hoax. In the end, we see that this soldier was the first among many `heathen' who came to EXALT THE RISEN LORD; including anyone involved with this movie - for I am sure there is no way you could have made it without BELIEVING AND EXALTING OUR RISEN LORD!

"Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted above the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalm 46:10

'If the pace and the push, the noise and the crowds are getting to you, it's time to stop!  Find a place of solace and refresh the spirit." Charles R Swindoll.

Remember, in your stillness, exalt the Lord; and pray for the those who are yet to exalt Him.



Holy Bible - New International Version

"Wisdom for the Way" - Charles Swindoll (2001) Thomas Nelson

"The New Matthew Henry Commentary" - Martin.H Manser (2008) Zondervan

"Be Still" - Michael W Smith. (YouTube) (2010)












No comments:

Post a Comment