Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Psalms - Real, Relevant, Refreshing.

Every year, without fail I will read the Psalms. I use them as prayers or simply devotions. But this year, as I am still out of work, and facing a few emotional effects of my cancer recovery, I decided it was a good time to start a long awaited STUDY on the Psalms and it's writers.

In his book 'Rick Warren's Bible Study Methods', he gives us 12 different methods for studying God's word (see these outlined in my 'Legacy for Eternity' blog).  Usually I will use the 'thematic or topical' method; but this time I decided to try something new, a chapter background and verse analysis.

I basically read the Psalm (verse by verse), making my own notes. I then do a little biographical read of the author and make a few more notes (in this case, usually found in 1&2 Samuel and 1&2 Chronicles.)  Then, I read what some of my favourite authors have to say: Max Lucado, Charles Swindoll and Stormie Omartin, to name a few, then make some more notes. If I get stuck, I 'google', and then I go to my commentary and end with some notes.  This is probably not how the 'theologians would do it', but it works for me.

Sometimes I get a little thematic, for I will find another person in the Bible who has had the same 'struggles' as Psalm writers or myself, and I want to find out more, like Job, Jeremiah and even Micah. Finally, I always find myself skipping to the New Testament, and often ending with a message about Christ and salvation; for isn't the resolution of God's plan, prophesied in the Old Testament,  found in the gospels and our encouragement for continuing our walk with the Lord found in the letters to the Churches.

This is why I have entitled this 'PSALMS - REAL, RELEVANT and REFRESHING'.  Recently I heard an interview with the star of the hit musical 'Jesus Christ Superstar' - a confessed atheist. He was asked "How can you play Jesus, when you don't even believe in him?" His answer:  "Hey, it's just another good story." Of course we know differently - the Psalms are the REAL struggles of men like David, Asaph and others who were REAL people. They had struggles and joys, like us which makes the Psalms very RELEVANT.  What's more, no one can deny the REFRESHMENT that comes when we are struck with the reality that God is in control and we have salvation in his son.

Of course their is a lot of prayer involved, especially when I put all my notes together to make it 'reader friendly' - I try not to get too heavy; but it is just so exciting once I start I know I just have to share it with others. So come, join me, simply read it as a devotion or study along with me. I hope you too will discover the joy and peace that comes from having a personal relationship with God, just like David and the other writers did when they wrote these PSALMS.


No comments:

Post a Comment