Saturday, March 23, 2013

PSALM 3 - VICTORY OVER OUR ENEMIES

INTRODUCTION

Read Psalm 3

We all have enemies and `giants' that we cannot overcome alone. For me it is the fear of the unknown and rejection. Just the mention of this `giant' has an emotional effect on me - anxiety and depression. Although my doctors believe I am healed and my friends tell me how courageous I am, I still have my bad days.

I know God is my `SHIELD', my protector. I know I can `lie down in safety and not be afraid of the enemies that surround me'. I know, `victory comes from the Lord'. I KNOW these things, I BELIEVE them. So why, like David, do I still at times, allow these `enemies' to overwhelm me.

In this Psalm we find David under attack, AGAIN, but this time it is his own son he is running from. Yet, just as he faced the giant Goliath as a young boy, David now faces his failures as a father, bad choices he has made and the consequences of his self-centred behaviours.

The only thing that has kept him from falling apart was what he learned when `fighting the giant': when GOD FOCUSED, `GOLIATHS CAN BE BEAT, ENEMIES CAN BE OVERCOME,  VICTORY IS SURE!!

1. In what areas of your life do you feel under attack from your `enemies'?

FLASHBACK TO DAVID'S EARLY  LIFE

Read 1 Samuel 17:1-11

Goliath had been taunting the Israelites, and as long as the Israelites were terrified of Him, Goliath was the victor. While Goliath reminded them of their weaknesses, the Israelites were in bondage to their enemy.

2.a) Why is it often so hard to face our `enemies'?

b) Do you ever find yourself paralyzed by hopelessness when up against your `enemies'?


c) What are some practical strategies we can use to help fight our `giants'?

David refused to be paralyzed by hopelessness. He chose to rely on God rather than focusing on his fears. He had a secret weapon; not the size of stones but the greatness of his God.

We too have a choice.  We can battle our giants in our own strength, run from them, or turn them over to God and let Him help you overcome them.


LET'S LEARN A BIT ABOUT ABSALOM. 

Psalm 3 is said to have been written when David was `fleeing from his son Absalom', so to understand it's context, we need to meet this man he was running from.


Read 2 Samuel 13&14

After being raped by her half-brother Amnon, Tamar, David's daughter,  confided in her own brother Absalom. Filled with rage Absalom plotted the death of Amnon. He then fled to the home of his grandfather. Later he returned in a half-hearted attempt to reconcile with his father David, but David did not want to see him, and he was placed under `house arrest'.

After 3 years in exile and 2 years of what seemed like imprisonment, Absalom again sought reconciliation with his father, but not because he wanted to seek forgiveness or restore their relationship; but because he had a `take over' plan. He felt he had been treated harshly and pretending to love his father, he endeavoured to get back into the royal courts.

I can see this story as an episode of Law and Order - Criminal Intent.  Detective Goren would be looking deeper and possibility would find David responsible for the crimes of his sons. He had been a poor example with his indiscretion with Bathsheba.  He became angry with his daughter's rapist, his son Amnon, but did nothing.  So Absalom had become the judge, which consequently led to the murder of his half-brother.

Maybe David had been a bad example and even a bad father. His selfish living is often what his children saw, but he also loved God and had endeavoured to make him Lord of his life.  Absalom could not be totally released from blame. He was a young man, yet old enough to make the right choices.

Absalom made the decision on his own not to follow the Lord. He was a handsome man, but his soul was blemished. Even the cutting and weighing of his hair was a sign of pride and his need to be superior to other men. He used personal gain to make his way back into his father's favour and believed he had the right to be king and judge.  Mostly, he showed no remorse or responsibility for his actions.

3.a) How much responsibility should parents take for the actions of their children?

b) How can we as Christian parents endeavour to live a life that is pleasing to God, as true and authentic Christian witnesses to our children?


"Teach your children to choose the right path and when they are older, they will remain upon it."
 Proverbs 22:6 (NLT)

 Read 2 SAMUEL 15:1-12


Now back in his father's court, Absalom began his plan to take over his father's kingdom.  He tried to make himself great in the eyes of the people, by starting a conspiracy that would turn them against his father.  He tried to show them that he was an honest judge, who had only their welfare at heart.  He even went as far as inviting his friends to come with him as he offered sacrifices to the Lord at Hebron.  Absalom turned some of the most solid citizens against his father, including David's counselor Ahithophel.

As Absalom's followers grew, David was filled with fear.  David knew only one way to face this enemy - this `giant' - he decided to leave Jerusalem and to spend some time in the Lord's presence, seeking His guidance.


Read Psalm 3:1-8; 2 Samuel 15:13- 16:14.
As this Psalm begins we find David  on the run, facing another `giant' - his failures and the consequences of his mistakes. His physical enemies were increasing as Absalom's power increased. The people, whom once loved and served David as their king, were now `walking with Absalom'. The people were also losing their faith in God.

It is 3 years since I made, probably the biggest mistake of my life. Running away from a bad situation, I made a wrong decision. Following my own wisdom rather than seeking the Lord, or listening to the advice of godly people, I made a decision based on fear and I now realize, PRIDE.

Because of this mistake, my worst fear was realized. I lost my job and was told I was a `bad teacher'. I let my pride and fear take over, and like David, I have now been living with the consequences. Sometimes I still feel `I have so many enemies against me', and even with a strong faith, nurtured from youth, I have wondered, `Will God ever rescue me?'  Always one to embrace change - loving learning and trying new things - I now live in constant anxiety when faced with the unknown.

4.a) Have there been any mistakes you have made in your life for which you are now living with the consequences?

b) Have you been able to overcome the consequences and move on; or are you still struggling in this area?


It is interesting to note that David did not spend too long dwelling on the negative. He was in exile from his kingdom and his `temple', for he had sent the Ark back to Jerusalem; but he was not in exile from the Lord. In this time in prayer, David re-assures himself of God's goodness and protection. He reminded himself that when he slept, the one `unslumbering Helper'watched over Him.

With renewed energy and faith, after sleep and prayer, David no longer focuses on his mistakes or the fears of retribution, but now he has triumphed over fear looking `upward instead of around', and has `risen to the height of serene peace'.



                                             (2006) Don Moen & Claire Cloninger.

5a) How can you reassure yourself of God's goodness and protection?

b) How can we, in the midst of unknowns, rise to the height of `serene peace'?  Where does this peace come from?

LET'S LOOK IN THE NEW TESTAMENT

Read Galatians 5:22-25

I was recently able to make a fresh start.  It felt good to put those past mistakes behind me.  It felt so good to be able to look towards a future with clear eyes and a clean heart. It felt so glorious to greet the new day with a peaceful mind and a joyful soul.

I didn't get my fresh start by moving to another town, however.  I didn't get it by starting a new job. I didn't go on vacation or change any part of the environment around me. Those kind of changes have never worked for me before.  I simply opened my eyes to a new morning.  Dr Caroline Leaf, a well known Christian neuroscientist, has another name for these `giants' and `enemies' that taunt our souls: `toxic roots'. These are thoughts that can `poison our minds and bodies' as they grow into branches of a `fear tree'. 

We can choose to live with these `toxic roots',  like Absalom did, ultimately leading to his death; or like David we can grow and mature in love and faith, taking anxieties, addictions, depression, physical illness or whatever has you in the grip of fear and hopelessness, giving them to the Lord,  putting them in the `soil of love, trust, perseverence, faith, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness and self control'. 

Each new morning is a fresh beginning to choose love, create joy, spread laughter, help others and give something back to the world. Each new moment is another chance to share a hug, a smile, a compliment, or an act of kindness.  It doesn't matter how many mistakes we make, wrong turns we have taken, or `toxic roots' we have grown; God is there waiting to help us to love and live as we were meant to. 

6. Are there any `fruits of the spirit' that you need to grow more in your life?  Could it be that there are some `toxic roots' that are needing to be `pulled out'?  

Take time for a silent prayer, seeking the Lord's help with the `uprooting' and `replanting'.  You may like to share this with your pastor or Christian friend (mentor).  You may need to seek some other `professional' advice. I am not a `professional' - but I am a good listener.  I can also give you more information on Dr Leaf's 21 day `Toxic Release' healing program,   (though it actually takes a little longer, for total release).  

CONCLUSION

Read Psalm 3 again. 

I have highlighted 3 verses in this Psalm:


"But You O Lord art a shield around me. You are my glory, the One who holds my head high". (Verse 3) (NLT)

"I lay down and slept but I woke up in safety, for the Lord was watching over me."  (Verse 5) (NLT)

"Victory comes from the Lord, may you bless your people."  (Verse 8) (NLT)


I guess I just like the idea that I have a God who is on my side, always with me, helping me to be strong and confident in Him. I praise him for the VICTORY that I can have, just like David, over fear and anxieties; but most of all I am just thankful that I have been accepted as one of `his people' and have the promise of his everlasting blessings.

If you can claim this promise too - thank the Lord with me.

If not, pray this prayer with me:

          "Lord, I want to be accepted as one of your people who has been released from sin and have   salvation in you.  Please take my fears and anxieties, or any `toxic root' that is preventing me from living a life of love and service.  Thank you for your promise of everlasting life, and the blessings that comes from being your victorious child." 


* "Facing Your Giants" (2006) Max Lucado, Thomas Nelson Publishers.

* "The New Matthew Henry Commentary", Edited by Martin H Manser, Zondervan


* "The Gift in You" (2010) Dr Caroline Leaf, Inprov LTD. 


* "The Holy Bible" New Living Translation" (1996) Tyndale Publishers. (NIV)












                 










No comments:

Post a Comment